Tuesday, November 24, 2009

X-Rated SWIKs

After my bout with the flu, I finally returned to dance class last week for a workout and discovered a new song by Amanda Blank, “Something Bigger, Something Better.” A few months ago one of my music-pushers, Robbie (see Summer Tours), mentioned her debut album, I love You, which came out in August. But I never got around to listening to it. I was immediately hooked on “Something Bigger, Something Better” which sounded like it could have been produced by rapper Missy Elliott. I finally got around checking out Blank’s album. Of course, through my research it turns out that I missed her recent show in NYC with electroclash diva Peaches. I’m, once again, a step or two behind here. But I keep trying anyway. Even though I missed the live show it seems like a good time to say a few words about these X-rated singer-songwriters. (Yes, their lyrics are explicit, so you’ve been warned.)

As I’ve said before, I’m a sucker for good pop music and Amanda Blank seems to be just that. Ok, maybe not straight ahead pop, but certainly catchy. She falls somewhere between electronica and rap, with an infusion of '80‘s new wave. Yes, another ‘80‘s throwback. Are we calling this the neo-80‘s sound? Whatever. I guess having been a teen in ‘80‘s I can’t help loving all of it. One of my favorite songs on the album, “Make It, Take It” has that '80’s twinge and more of a girl band sound to it. She co-wrote this song with Santigold (see SWIK post), who she’s worked with for some time. She sounds a lot like Santigold as well as rapper M.I.A. with whom she has also worked. Another ‘80’s throwback on the album, “A Love Song” is a remake of rapper LL Cool J’s “I Need Love.” It’s spot on and almost word for word the same song. It includes a sample of Santigold’s “I’m A Lady.” Like LL’s original, this one has a slow, steady hip-hop groove. “Leaving You Behind” is another mellow tune featuring Swedish electronic popster Lykke Li.

[clearspring_widget title="Grooveshark Widget: Chameleon" wid="48f3ef6c29317865" pid="4b0bff17828b32a6" width="400" height="400" domain="widgets.clearspring.com"]


Her song “I Might Like You Better” sounds nothing like Romeo Void’s ’80’s tune “Never Say Never,” but it directly lifts the chorus “I might like you better if we slept together.” I’ve always liked this Romeo Void tune. While the message is blunt, the vocals are sultry with a punk edge. Blank’s new twist on the phrase is not one of my favorite songs on the album, but is worth noting. In another '80‘s tribute, the song “Make Up” was written by Prince and released on Vanity 6’s only album. It’s not a great song, but Blank offers an improvement on the original.



With all the catchy hooks and syncopation on the album, it’s easy to miss the rapid-fire lyrics. This album could make another solid running mix. Her tunes are also useful for getting ready for a night out or your own mini at-home dance party. But don’t be fooled, Blank is raunchier than most ‘80’s divas. One critic called her a nasty Cyndi Lauper (see SWIK post), taking “She Bop” to its extreme. Her song “Lemme Get Some” is exactly about what what you think and leaves nothing to the imagination.

A Philadelphia native, Blank was a member of the band Sweatheart and collaborated with alternative rapper Spank Rock, who also worked with her on the album. She is part of a growing trend of women taking back filthy and explicit lyrics from the men. Rapper Lil’ Kim was probably the pioneer here, although in addition to Romeo Void, the '80’s had Berlin’s "Sex (I’m A...)," the Eurythmics’ “I Need A Man” and of course any songs by Prince’s proteges such as Vanity and Apollonia. Blank has a underlying sense of humor and, for all their nastiness, her songs are well-crafted and catchy.

In writing about raunchy divas, it seems appropriate to say a few words about Peaches, who Blank is touring with right now. You can read a brief review of their NYC show and see photos on Brooklyn Vegan. I can’t recall when I first discovered Peaches. I probably read about her in Bust magazine, where I discover most alternative music. Originally from Canada, but now based in Berlin, Peaches is known for her sexually explicit lyrics in songs like “F*ck The Pain Away,” which was used in the film Lost In Translation. Other Peaches songs have been used in TV shows including Ugly Betty, Entourage, and CSI: New York among others. You may recognize her song “Do Ya” from a Gap ad.

[clearspring_widget title="Grooveshark Widget: Chameleon" wid="48f3ef6c29317865" pid="4b0c018be0eb6f39" width="400" height="400" domain="widgets.clearspring.com"]


Peaches writes all of her own music, plays the instruments, and produces her albums. Her music is more electronic, new wave, hip hop and even rock, rather than pop, and is part of what is called electroclash. Yes, ANOTHER music genre (see Raveonettes post for my rant on ever-expanding music genres). Her latest offering, I Feel Cream, which came out in May, is her most accessible album to date. I really like the song “Talk to Me.” It’s certainly one of her catchier tunes and sounds like Cyndi Lauper. I also like "Mud," which is one of her mellower tunes. That said, none of her songs are ever likely to get radio play. The least offensive lyric on the new album may be, 'never go to bed without a piece of raw meat' from "Trick or Treat" which has a chorus that sounds like it came right off of a Vanity 6 album. She has a sense of humor, but has more underlying anger than Blank.

So where do I stand on these potty-mouthed women? First, let’s start with the fact that almost all music, particularly popular music, is about sex. (Even most classical music I would argue.) Like so many men before them, these women are just putting it out there in plainer terms. Shock value may be one way to look at it. Taking sex back and owning it is another. Objectifying men is yet another. I do find it fascinating that most male critics seem to quickly either write these women off or at least take them to task and look down on their explicit lyrics. They apparently have a difficult time listening to women use words like f*ck, pussy, and tits. Yet, we never hear a peep from these guys when men use these words. Nor do they bother to question the blatant misogyny and degradation of women in a lot of rap music. Female critics, on the other hand, tend to accept and embrace these women and their lyrics. I believe that these musicians take what they do quite seriously. Peaches, in particular, is certainly out to question some gender norms and push the envelope. I’m all for challenging the establishment and making people think. If you can craft a catchy or interesting tune in the process, more power to ya. That said, to each her own. This music may not be for you. Check out a few tunes for yourself and let me know what you think.

A SWIK '80's Sex Mix
[clearspring_widget title="Grooveshark Widget: Chameleon" wid="48f3ef6c29317865" pid="4b0bfeb94e7987bd" width="400" height="300" domain="widgets.clearspring.com"]

2 comments:

  1. these tunes aren't to my listening taste but due to the sincere (and long awaited) effort to take back the female voice and make the derogatory terms ones owned by those originally the intended victims, I applaud them...and you, Kyrawoman, for continuing to fight the "good fight" and introduce all to genres and such that one might not otherwise encounter.....and, do you take "requests" on your blog? You referenced thinking classical music is also about sex......are there any contemporary female classical musicians you've encountered? I'd be fascinated and patiently await a response.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note. Totaly understand, these chicks aren't for everyone. I am checking for some new classical SWIK's for you. I heard a new opera singer on NPR this weekend, but I've already forgotten her name. I'm hoping to incorporate more diverse music in the SWIK blog, so eventually there will be a post. Have you heard the Anonymous 4? It's early music, sounds like women doing Gregorian Chant. I love them, very relaxing. I think they have a new album this year.

    I think you will really like Melody Gardot (this week's post). Hope all is well. I'm totally getting in on that Sham Wow action.

    ~DKW

    ReplyDelete