Monday, October 5, 2009

Bebel Towers Again

Last weekend was one of those relax, chill out, avoid cleaning, and make no plans kind of weekends. I was looking for some mellow, but not maudlin music (see Camera Obscura). Something with a little pick me up, but still capturing my more relaxed mood. I pulled out Bebel Gilberto, a Brazilian bossa nova singer. While listening to her first album, Tanto Tempo, I went online to see what she’s been up to. Lo-and-behold, last week she released a new album, All In One. Since there are, maybe, two record stores left in NYC, getting a copy of the actual CD would prove to be a challenge. I decided to download it, liner notes and all, so that I could listen to it right away. The album still captures her smooth, sultry vocals and a range of bossa nova tunes with an electronic twist.

Next_stop_wonderlandI first discovered Bebel Gilberto on the soundtrack to the 1998 movie Next Stop Wonderland. This wonderful independent romantic comedy features Hope Davis and Alan Gelfant with a cameo from Philip Seymour Hoffman. It takes place all over Boston with a plot line that involves the drudgery of dating, a stolen fish from the Boston aquarium, and a chance encounter on a MBTA train heading towards the Wonderland station. (Seriously, it’s good stuff. Go rent it.) The soundtrack, scored by Claudio Ragazzi, is a beautiful mix of old and new bossa nova artists. While latin jazz is not what one generally associates with Boston, the soundtrack captures the essence of the film. Bebel Gilberto’s “Batucada” is just the right amount of sexy and catchy. The song makes you want to sway your hips and move your feet around the dance floor in a tiny cocktail dress with a hot man (or even the guy you’ve fallen in love with, regardless of his hotness).

Bebel Gilberto is the daughter of João Gilberto. I have a long listening history with her father and his first wife Astrud. The album Getz/Gliberto, which featured Astrud on vocals and the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim, was a favorite of my parents. The album came out in 1964 and remains one of the top selling jazz album of all time. I heard it often when I was growing up. Getz-GilbertoThe music is in my blood (see About section). I remember dancing around the living room when I was probably about six years old. I tried to “walk just like a samba” (whatever THAT means) so everyone I pass would go “a-a-ah,” imagining that one day I would be “tall and tan and young and lovely.” While “The Girl From Ipanema” is the most famous track, every song on the album is amazing. It’s full of sultry and romantic bossa nova grooves. Bossa nova, Portuguese for "new trend," is a style of Brazilian music that originated in the late 1950's. It took the jazz world, and the U.S., by storm in the early 1960's. My favorite song on this album is a slower tune called “Corcovada (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars).” Possibly one of the most romantic songs ever recorded, even when translated into English.

[clearspring_widget title="Grooveshark Widget: Chameleon" wid="48f3ef6c29317865" pid="4acbf1d4cd489ee6" width="400" height="400" domain="widgets.clearspring.com"]


Bebel is João Gilberto's daughter from his second marriage. Her mother, Miúcha, was also a famous Brazilian singer and composer. After the Next Stop Wonderland soundtrack, I don’t recall how I discovered Bebel’s album Tanto Tempo, which came out in 2006. It was likely through one of my friends and favorite DJ’s at the time, Brotherbeat. He still spins, but now in Barcelona rather than NYC. It was one of those albums that stayed on my stereo for a long time. I also frequently gave it as a gift or encouraged people to buy it. While her music is undoubtedly bossa nova, it’s updated with a bit of electronica. Over the years much of her music, including entire albums, has been remixed by various DJs. She did a free concert at Summer Stage in Central Park the year Tanto Tempo came out, but I never made it over to see her. Now she performs at much larger venues, so she’ll be tougher to see these days. That said, she’s the kind of singer that you really want to see in a cozy smokey bar, rather than in the middle of the afternoon in a park. Although, on the beach at sunset could work.

Her new album, All In One, will remain on the stereo for while. It’s soothing and relaxing but with a nice groove. It oozes love. She sings in English and in Portuguese. I tend to prefer the Portuguese songs on the album. What is it about Portuguese? I have no idea what she’s saying, but, let’s face it, everything sounds sexy in Portuguese. Some of the stand out tracks include “Nossa Senhor,” a simple tune with mainly guitar and vocals, and “Forever” which is mainly piano and vocals. Like her other albums most of her songs are straight ahead bossa nova like “Chica Chica Boom Chic,” but infused some modern twists. “The Real Thing” is one of the more upbeat tunes on the new album. It turns out The Dap Kings (see Sharon Jones) laid down the groovy backing track for this one. All In One isn't available on Grooveshark yet, so the mix above includes mainly songs from Tanto Tempo.

bebel_cov
Go pour yourself a nice glass of red wine or whip up a caipirinha. Toast Rio Di Janeiro's big win on the 2016 Olympic games and listen to some sultry tunes from the Gilbertos, Bebel, Astrud, or João. Relax and don’t make any plans. Let the evening pass, watch the sun set and the moon rise. (If you're in NYC, the moon has been pretty amazing the past few days, so don't miss it.) Spend time with some good friends or someone you love. The Gilbertos' music will warm up the whole evening and put you in a sort of relaxed haze. Oh, wait, that could be the caipirinha’s rather than the music. Either way. It’s all good.

See Music
Getz/Gilberto: The Girl From Ipanema
Bebel Gilberto: So Nice

Buy Music
Getz/Gilberto
Bebel Gilberto

More Info
Bebel Gilberto

4 comments:

  1. K:

    Very nice indeed. I'm a new fan. Great to see you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that Next Stop Wonderland keeps coming up over the years. Such a great movie, and when I listen to your playlist, it comes back. I has already poured myself a glass of red, so I found myself well prepared for your blog post. Ahhhhhh. Thanks Kyra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You keep going, Kyrawoman.......I'm finding my musical sensabilities growing by leaps and bounds (can I still listen to Disco and be your friend....?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boogie Woogie Oogie - Oh My!

    Thanks for the flashbacks and yes,Getz/Gilberto was also a staple in my house :-)

    ReplyDelete