Tuesday, September 8, 2009

SWIK Icon Series: The voice of glamour and danger

In a wonderful end to what was otherwise a not-so-fabulous summer, this past weekend I had the opportunity to navigate some curvy Maine roads in a peach-colored 1960 MGA convertible. The car belongs to my uncle, who is attempting to restore it to a semblance of its former glory. After a brief lesson on the quirks of a car nearly five decades old, I was permitted to take it for a spin. With my scarf blowing in the wind, but no working radio, the song blaring inside my head was “Kiss Them For Me” by Siouxsie and The Banshees. Why? Or you may even ask, who?
siouxsie2
Where to begin? Siouxsie Sioux has a truly unique voice. There is no one to compare her to. I don’t recall the first time that I heard her music, but I know it was “Cities In Dust.” The song has a long intro and simple lyrics, but reaches dizzying heights. It’s powerful, angry, and sad, but you can’t help but sing along. I always feel like I’m being swept away when I listen to it. Siouxsie’s voice is best described as operatic with a punk infusion. The music is theatrical and moody, her lyrics carry underlying dark irony. Then there are occasional pop hooks that take the listener by surprise. The songs stick with you. I am drawn back to certain albums and songs again and again.

My favorite album is Juju from 1981. The songs “Spellbound” and “Arabian Nights” are powerful and deal with topics still relevant almost 30 years later. Another favorite song is “Christine” from the album Kaleidoscope. I have a special affection for this song with the same name as my friend and fellow DJ from college (see Little Boots post). It’s also just a really good song with some trippy psychedelic sounds. On the softer side, from their album Peep Show, “The Last Beat of My Heart” is dark, but romantic. It's a beautiful wedding song for the appropriate couple. Siouxsie also did some amazing cover tunes, most of which can be found on the album Through the Looking Glass. My favorites are Bob Dylan’s “This Wheel’s On Fire” and Iggy Pop’s “The Passenger.” While “The Passenger” doesn’t stray too much from the original, her voice takes “This Wheel’s On Fire” to a place one would never expect it to go. This version of the song was used as the theme for the British sitcom AbFab.

In 1981 Siouxsie, along with her drummer and husband Budgie, formed a side project called The Creatures. Initially the music captured more of world beat sound with a slight punk edge. The albums were even more percussive than the Banshee’s albums, featuring everything from steel drums to congas. The first two Creatures albums , Feast and Boomerang, have distinct cultural influences. Recored in Hawaii, Feast has a catchy tune called “Gecko,” one of those songs that gets stuck in your head. And yes, it’s about a lizard as well as “a panoramic banana, a passion fruit samba”. It makes you want to do a slow little samba, and then you realize she’s saying something about “pale skin itching and a tropical fever.” Darkness behind this catchy tune.

creaturesOn The Creatures album Boomerang from 1989, the song “Standing There” is the one to listen to when you are REALLY mad, particularly at a man. “They stand and stare with that gormless air, so funny to see how dumb some grown men can be.” Apparently the song is about her experience with the machismo of the men in Spain, where they recorded the album. The song is fast and angry, yet very catchy. The staccato drums build up to some great horns in the middle of the song. In contrast, listen to the mellow and soothing "Morrina."

Siouxsie is now recording on her own. She and Budgie divorced and the Banshees have dispersed. Her last album Mantaray, released in 2007, goes back to her punk roots and has more of a rock ‘n roll sound than anything she’s done in a while. She pulls in some interesting horns and the occasional funky beats. Earlier this summer, The BBC released a Siouxsie and the Banshees CD/DVD box-set. Every Siouxsie fan should go out and pick this up immediately as it contains all sorts of interesting rarities.

For those unfamiliar with this icon of punk, goth, and new wave, Siouxsie Sioux came out of the the 1970’s punk scene in London and was part of the Sex Pistols’ entourage. Formed in 1976, Siouxise and The Banshees went on to record eleven studio albums. They had several top 40 hits in the U.K., but few in the U.S. I’ve created some mixes with songs that are on the pop side. A small effort to capture some new fans. While rarely mentioned as an influence by musicians, Siouxsie Sioux is undoubtedly the godmother of '80's new wave music and continues to influence alternative music today (see Santigold post).

Finally, the US Top 40 hit “Kiss The For Me” that was running through my head this weekend was from her most mainstream album Superstition. “It glittered and it gleamed for the arriving beauty queen.” The seemingly cheery song is actually about Jayne Mansfield, who died in a car crash after a dinner party. “Kiss them for me. I may be delayed.” So, yes, a bit morbid, but the song itself is fun. It captures 1960‘s celebrity, which was exactly how I felt driving that tiny convertible. I wanted to wave to everyone we passed. At the same time, I was acutely aware that one wrong move would pretty much do us in. For me, the song captured the glamour and the danger of that little car. Glamour and danger also describe the voice of Siouxsie Sioux. It seems natural that one of her songs would come to mind at that moment. Needless to say, everyone arrived home safely. I look forward to taking the car out for a spin again next summer.

Hear Music
SWIK Siouxsie Mix
SWIK Creatures Mix

See Music
Kiss Them For Me
Cities In Dust


Buy Music
At the BBC (3CD + DVD Set)
Once Upon A Time: The Singles
Twice Upon a Time: The Singles
A Bestiary Of...(includes all tracks from Feast)
Boomerang

6 comments:

  1. The Strawberry WenchSeptember 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM

    Well done, Kyrawoman! I've been waiting for this one, an homage to Siouxsie which will hopefully introduce her to those who aren't familiar with The Banshees or The Creatures. She was a huge influence for me, as you know, a strong, intelligent, creative and stylish woman with a very unique voice. And she looks amazing at the age of 52, no one else can pull off that eyeliner! I love seeing her as a wee punk in the background of old photos of the Sex Pistols and, being a Sid Vicious fan, I love the fact that he was the original "drummer" for the Banshees. Then there's the whole Cure connection with Robert Smith as guitarist on several Banshees albums. I'll never forget the first time we saw her live in Boston at the Orpheum and got yelled at for jumping up and screaming when they played "Christine"! I wish I still had my pointy buckle shoes and my spider web tights... You just made my day, m'lady. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SW - YAY!! So glad that you enjoyed the post. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the concerts. I remember the show with the annoying truck driver/construction worker types in front of us. Why on earth were they at a Siouxsie show? I suppose we should be happy she has such a wide variety of fans. I also saw The Creatures at Avalon or somewhere. She was amazing. While I was writing this post I remembered our radio show and all those late nites. I'll have to pull out The Glove with Robert and Steve. Looking forward to talking live soon!!! ~K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kyrawoman......thank you for bringing me back to sitting in a dark Jeanne-Mance dorm room, lit by candles and listening to Siouxsie, The Cure, and Echo and the Bunnymen.....I love the image of you, stylish queen beyond compare, driving around the sinuous Maine roads and doing the "Isadora Duncan" scarf thing...w/o, thankfully, the strangulation.
    -Beefer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyra Woman,
    Love that song and I can totally see you driving down the Songo Lock Road. Just listened to the video clip and sitting in my kitchen wiggling in my chair as I yawn because.....yes..I am tired! Music is so amazing...I actually want to go dancing now! Anyway, loved spending time with you this short summer! NYC soon!
    Love,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - yes. We were reminded about Isadora by my aunt before we went out in the car. Apparently she wore some sort of insane scarf that was bigger than she was and flowed out the back of the car. We just wore small ones, like the French, only a tiny bit of scarf blowing in the wind, not even beyond the back of the seat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading! It was sooo good to get to spend time with you this summer. I loved the dance party with the girls, we need more of those next sumer. And anytime you want to ditch everyone and come dancing in NYC, you know who to call!!

    ReplyDelete